Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Interesting...

I have nothing to report in the exercise arena. I'm having back/hip/leg problems, and my doc doesn't want me to do anything except walk in a pool. So I'm in the process of accessing a pool. I hate bureaucracy.
Anyway, the reason I'm posting is that I gained twenty pounds, freaked out, talked to some friends of mine in my area, and they put me in touch with a lady at church who is a fitness counselor/dietitian/ect ect to help me get a handle on my issues, and she told me something I didn't know, and maybe you guys do, but I thought I'd throw it out there. (How's THAT for a run-on sentence?!) She told me that when you hit a plateau in losing weight, OR a plateau in your work outs, that if you go back to where you started, it resets your body, and you break through the plateau. So like this (hypothetically):
I'm trying to lose twenty pounds, so I start walking. I can only walk a mile a day at first, but after six months, I can do three miles. I lost ten pounds, but that last ten just won't come off. What my instructor told me is that you should go back to one mile a day for a bit, and work your way back up to three miles, it won't take you six months obviously it will go way faster, and that resets your metabolism, and shazam! You break your plateau. The same for work out plateaus. If you just hit a brick wall and can't seem to plow through it, go back to your easier work outs for a bit, and work back up to where you were, and you should be able to bust through it then.
Anyway, cool huh? Another weapon in our arsenal against unhealthiness! Booyah!
The Almighty Liz

1 comment:

timpani76 said...

I also like to take a random week off once every couple of months.