Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Breakfast Recipes.

I have to give a shout out to Liz for reminding me that I promised to post some recipes. I'd forgotten all about it. These are just a few that I already had on my computer. I have several more that I need to type out for ya'll. Also a few of these are suggestions which I find just as helpful as actual recipes. Oh and I of course substitute herbal tea or Postum for the coffee. :)

1. The 5-Minute Breakfast

Toast 1 slice 100% whole wheat raisin bread and spread with 1 Tbsp peanut butter. Serve with 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt and 1 cup strawberries, sliced.

2. Homemade MuesliMix

1/2 c uncooked rolled oats; 1 med tart apple, chopped; and 1 Tbsp slivered almonds. Top with 2/3 c light soy milk or fat-free milk. Serve with 6 oz calcium- and vitamin D fortified orange juice.


3. Sweet Smoothie

In blender, mix 1 med banana, 1 c frozen peaches, 6 oz low-fat vanilla yogurt, 2 Tbsp orange juice concentrate, 1 Tbsp toasted wheat germ, and a dash of almond extract.



4. Breakfast Burrito

In nonstick pan, scramble 1 whole egg and 1 egg white (or 1/2 c liquid egg substitute). Fill a 101/2" whole wheat tortilla with egg, 1 oz shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese, 2 Tbsp salsa, 3 Tbsp chopped tomato, and 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro. Serve with 1 c cubed melon (like honeydew or cantaloupe).




5. Latte & Muffin

Mix 2/3 c warm 1% milk with strong coffee. Top a 2 oz (Ping-Pong ball size) bran muffin with 1 Tbsp peanut butter and serve with fruit salad (1/2 med orange, peeled and chopped, and 1 kiwifruit, peeled and chopped).

6. Berry Ricotta ToastTop

1 slice 100% whole wheat toast with 1 Tbsp jam and 1/3 c part-skim ricotta. Serve with 2/3 c blueberries, 6 oz grapefruit juice, and 1 c coffee with 1/3 c 1% milk.


7. Orange Sunshine Pancakes

In medium bowl, combine 1/2 c 1% milk; 1/3 c low-fat, low-sodium pancake mix; 2 Tbsp liquid egg substitute; 4 tsp toasted wheat germ; 1 Tbsp orange juice concentrate; and 1 tsp grated orange zest. Pour two circles of batter onto hot griddle coated with cooking spray and cook until bubbles begin to pop. Flip and cook 2 minutes or until done. Top with 2 Tbsp marmalade and 1/3 c fat-free plain yogurt.


8. Vegetable Omelet

In small pan coated with cooking spray, sauté 2 Tbsp each diced onion and green bell pepper until tender, approximately 3 minutes. Remove. In same pan, add 3/4 c liquid egg substitute and cook over low heat until firm. Add onion-pepper mixture and 1/2 c diced tomato, then fold egg in half. Serve with 1 slice 100% whole wheat toast topped with 2 tsp jam and 8 oz calcium- and vitamin D fortified orange juice.

9. Fruity Parfait

In tall glass, layer 1/3 c low-fat burner granola; 1 c low-fat plain yogurt; 1 med orange, peeled and chopped; 1 kiwifruit, peeled and chopped; and 2 tsp dried fruit (apricots, raisins, etc.).


10. Cereal Blender

Mix 1/2 c each shredded wheat cereal and Cheerios, and top with 2 Tbsp dried cherries or raisins, 1 Tbsp chopped unsalted walnuts, and 1 tsp dried coconut. Add 1 c light soy milk or fat-free milk. Serve with 6 oz apricot nectar.







4 comments:

lizS said...

these are awesome! i'm going to have to go shopping for alot of the stuff, but that's good. i need to have more heathly stuff that on hand. and alot of it looks uber simple to. my morning-addled brains ought to be able to handle it. thanks dana!

timpani76 said...

Oh, that omelet recipe made me drool. I've got to try that as soon as my peppers come up. I think I may try it with just tomato and maybe garlic.

Renae said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dana Cheryl said...

I'm glad ya'll think they're worthy of your time. I'm always on the look out for uber easy recipes. I'll pass along more.

YUM Timpani! I think I'll try that too.