Wednesday, June 22, 2011

So Far This Week

It may be insanely late to be starting a garden, but I did it anyway. Our tiller isn't working, and Bruce kept talking about fixing it, so we could start our garden. Time kept passing, and I realized that if I wanted a garden this year, it was in my own hands. So on Monday I grabbed my shovel and tilled the whole thing manually, pulling all the weeds out as I went. I worked for several hours on Monday, and pretty much all day yesterday. I cleared a space that is approximately 12 x 15 feet (which is MUCH smaller than our usual garden, but that is probably actually good, because I could never keep up with the ginormous things Bruce tilled up - with a tiller. I decided that this year I was going to do things right, and not leave myself any more weeding than I absolutely had to do, so I also dug up a nice perimeter, and put in a barrier from the weeds that would come in from the sides. I planted 8 tomato plants, 8 pepper plants (which were extremely hard to find by this time of the season), I planted two rows of green beans (this is about a quarter of the beans we did last time) and some pumpkins. We also have some grape vines in the garden and a TON of wild grapes (which I prefer for jelly making anyway) growing in the trees in the back of the yard. Holy crud!! I have never been more tired!! I am sore, and sunburned (especially on that strip just above the back of my jeans from bending over). Now all I have to do is go back to the store and find a couple of bales of straw to mulch the crud out of that thing. I'm leaving here in just a minute to go and do just that.

Also I ran 5.5 miles today and walked 0.5 mile.

1 comment:

timpani76 said...

The garden looks great! And you ran too. Do you feel like superwoman now? You should ;)