Saturday, July 10, 2010

Tour De Donut

My FIL asked me yesterday if I wanted to go and do the Tour De Donut with him today. I said sure, so we went. It's around a 30 mile bike race. Unfortunately they were full, so there was no race day sign up. Terry and I rode along as bandits. (That means you race with no number). I don't know where I would have ranked if I was actually in the race, but I MIGHT have taken my age group. Which would have been really cool because there were 1270 people in this race. Another gal from Team Godzilla and I played cat and mouse for most of the race. She only left me with a couple of miles left, and I don't recall any women passing me after that, so I think I was the next woman to finish after her. Anyway, she placed 5th overall for the women. Two other Godzillas women were in the top five that I know of and none of the three Godzillas that finished ahead of me were in my age group. They had the combined men and women's times posted when we left so I checked my time with them. I would have come in around 75th place overall (men and women included) of the 1270 bikers. I might have been 6th overall for women. Yeah I rock. I did do one major screw up that hurt my time. I tried to power up a hill that ended up being steeper then I had guessed. I tried going up it in too big of a gear and I ended up having to unclip and walk my bike up it for fear of tipping over (I wear the clip in shoes). I totally could have ridden up the hill if I had been in the right gear, but I misjudged it, and by the time I realized I was in trouble, it was too late. The only thing to do was crash or unclip and walk. Stinky. I'm sure I lost at least a minute with that. The thing to remember about this race is that not all 1270 people are really in it to win it. There is a lot of stopping and eating donuts (I didn't eat any). But there are also a lot of people who were trying for good times and not eating any donuts. So as for how I would do in a purely serious bike race, I don't know how to gauge from this, but I think I might have a shot at being competitive. Especially if I really trained. Okay, blah blah blah, brag, brag, brag. Here's what it boils down to: 30 miles ridden, average speed was 19.82 mph. Not too bad.

2 comments:

timpani76 said...

Sounds like a good time! Glad you kicked some booty too!

lizS said...

go renae! woot!