Tuesday, February 28, 2012

What is UP

So when did I last log in? I don't remember. I'm having issues with my neck/upper back/shoulder, so I laid off the Jillian. I skipped Friday and Monday. After my chiropractor visit last week, it's slowly getting better. I'm still running though, and I hope to be back to the weights at the end of the week?

Saturday I ran 13 miles and it felt GREAT!! I'm not sure what the difference was between last week and the week before. I suspect that it might be the Hammer Gel that I took between laps. It has caffeine in it, and since I don't usually take in much?? While I love that I felt so great for the entire run, I am NOT making a habit of doing caffeine shots. I'm saving those for race days ONLY. I'm just afraid that the effects will wear off. Hmm, out of curiosity, I just checked the stats on Hammer Gel, and not all of them have caffeine. In fact, I'm not sure if the one I took Saturday had any or not. I'm going to have to check this out further. I'm afraid of using these type of things too much during training, and having them not work during a race. It bears some looking into.

I ran 7 miles of nasty hills today.

3 comments:

Renae said...

It looks like these gels are mostly concentrated easily digested nutrition. That should be a good thing. Some have caffeine, and some don't. But also, it sounds like a handful of raisins could do just about the same thing, but raisins do funny things to my digestive tract... So my opinion...? Well, I'll have to see how much these things cost before I become addicted to them. The little bit of research that I've done thus far said that these things are only necessary for LONG workouts. It said over 60-90 minutes. Anything less than that, and you don't need it. I'm not sure what made the difference last week, but I felt GREAT last week. The week before, I barely dragged myself to my van. I'm going to have to check into these things. I don't actually know where you buy them. I just had one that I got in a goodie bag from a race.

timpani76 said...

I get hammer fizz tabs (electrolyte things you put in water) on e-bay. They are caffeine free but they keep me from feeling yucky.

lizS said...

well, i'm glad that you felt awesome, and i hope everything works out. looks like you are doing an great job!