Friday, February 19, 2010

Friday-Strenth Training

My back (the whole thing, not just the lower) and hip, but not my leg, have been bothering me considerably this week. In light of that, I did strength training today instead of the bike. I think the way I sit on the bike (it's recumbent) might be taxing my newborn-weak back. Time to solve that problem.
I did three sets of stairs push-ups with 12 reps in each set.
And three sets of calf lifts on the stairs with 12 reps in each set.
And three sets of triceps push-ups with 10 reps in each set.
And three sets of quads on my weight set at 23.1 lbs with 12 reps in each set.
It took me between 15 and twenty minutes. I'm totally going to incorporate strength training twice a week into my routine, as it's low impact and needed big time. I'll be doing opposite muscle groups once a week, for a total of twice a week training. I know you're supposed to work a muscle group twice a week at least, but I have to keep my main focus on cardio. Plus, John does his muscle groups only once a week, and he gets pretty good results. I will double up with two workouts in one day (cardio and strength) as I get stronger, but for right now, it's just not feasible. I feel pretty good today, though! My back is only twinging, not flat out throbbing and stabbing! I think this is what I've been needing!
The Almighty Liz

4 comments:

timpani76 said...

Strength training is hard, but worth it, in my book. I don't get the workout "high" when I strength train, but I so love the extra strength to do everyday tasks, plus gardening and home improvement.

Don't forget abs!

lizS said...

i did abs on monday, ha! lol!

Dana Cheryl said...

Sounds like you've got a good plan!

Renae said...

good for you!