Friday, April 24, 2009

Thursday's Diet My Theories About Hunger

I did good following the diet, mostly. Grand totals were 1822 calories, 83 protein, 26.5 fat. My goal was: 1800 cal., 90 ish protein, 60 or less fat. As you can see I did pretty well calorie-wise, close on my protein, and WELL below on fat - that just shows you the type of foods I am used to eating. The foods I normally eat, even before this diet were usually low in fat.

Here's the thing, I was much hungrier today than I was yesterday. My theories on why:

1) I didn't eat as many healthy foods today. I opted for the less nutritious, and sugary cereal and no egg for breakfast. Hence, I reached my calories with less actual food (and nutritional value). I also skipped my 1 1/2 cup of V8 with lunch. V8 is very filling, ditto the above. I remember in a nutrition class that I took in college, reading about a study where people ate the same calories, but some ate, well I forget what but it was healthy stuff, and the other group ate unhealthy stuff. They rated how hungry they felt. Basically it boiled down to this: healthy food fills you up much quicker than unhealthy food for the same amount of calories. Remember all of those Total commercials? The ones where they stack all of the bowls of cereal it would take to equal one bowl of Total? It's the same kind of thing. Think how many carrots you could eat to equal the calories of one scoop of ice cream. The amount of actual food is vastly different.

2) I didn't eat quite as much protein. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not, but it is interesting.

3) Am I so stinking hungry because it's my 3rd day on the diet, and it's finally wearing on me? I don't know. I didn't feel hungry at all yesterday. In fact, after eating my more nutritious meals, I was quite full. I was wondering if I had actually cut enough. "How could this be dieting if I feel so full?"

I think my first theory is probably the most true. Oh, and here's a link to a site where you can look up the nutritional value of just about anything. I find it useful. Okay, shutting up now.

1 comment:

timpani76 said...

Great nutrition website! I will definitely use that to figure out the nutritional value of the stuff I'm growing in my garden or random produce. I already looked up turnip greens ;)