Monday, September 22, 2008

Upping the Anti? No, I Guess Not.

So, I figured it's time to run a bit farther today. Off I trotted with my 2 littlest ones in the buggy. I decided to aim for 4.5 miles. I have done that much with the running buggy once before (since baby #5). That, however was with a significant break in the middle. I ran to the park, let Justice play for about 15-20 minutes, and ran back, totalling 4.5 miles. Other than that, all of my previous runs with buggy have been 3 milers.

Anywho, I took off intending to run the 4.5 all in one swoop. However, the heat got to me. (Heat is a MAJOR weakness for me. If anyone out there knows how to beat it, please tell me. My best solution so far is to carry a water bottle and squirt myself down every 5 minutes.) I only made it to 3 miles, and I wimped out. I did walk and extra .75 miles, if that counts for anything. Oh well, maybe next time.

It's amazing to me what a difference the heat or lack of it makes for me. When fall hits, and I get to start running in cool, crisp weather, it's like I'm a totally new runner. I LOVE it!!! (I hate when summer comes back around and all of a sudden I'm a snail.)

3 comments:

lizS said...

i think you did awesome. heat is a major issue for me too. and i think that the point is to try your hardest to get to the next level, and no one can say you aren't trying hard! keep it up, babe!

Lisa Lou said...

I agree, I feel so much more sluggish in the summer....I like the idea of squirting yourself with a water bottle every so often! I'll have to try that....I'm trying to decide what to do once winter hits, I don't really want to run in the snow!

timpani76 said...

When I do heavy duty gardening I wet a hand towel and put it on the back of my neck. I re-wet it every 30 minutes or so.

Also, I have noticed I have to find ways for heat to "escape" since I don't sweat enough.

It helps to wear shorts, shorter socks (for when I wear tennis shoes, but I mostly wear sandals to let the heat escape out my feet). I also try to find the thinnest t-shirts, with the shortest sleeves (while still not showing anything).

I do take my shirt off for awhile when I first get in the house to cool off as quickly as possible.

I agree that you are doing an awesome job too!