Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tuesday- Swimming 1 Hour

My posts will be in DARK GREEN so you know it tis I, Timpani the Great. I think the name of this blog should be "Let's All Get Righteous Ghetto Booties". Ok, maybe not so catchy as Liz's choice.

My swimming routine- 15 minutes of breastroke (with swishy arms and kicking like a frog), 15 minutes of freestyle (the hardest for me, sometimes I can only make it 10 minutes), 15 minutes of backstroke (my second favorite, even though it's hard, I can BREATHE), and then 10-15 minutes of swimming underwater (my favorite, that was the first way I learned to swim as a kid was underwater) or twisties for stomach or just general goofing around/cooling down. It took me about a year to get up to this point (swimming full laps for 45 minutes to an hour straight)

At first, I had to take lots of breaks and only did half length laps (swimming the short length of the pool instead of the long length). I always swim at the YMCA in Edwardsville which has an Olympic length pool and lap lanes. I also used to spend a lot of time laying on my back and just kicking to catch my breath and to just keep moving for the full 1 hour cardio effect.

I'm pretty proud of how far I've come with this whole swimming thing ;)

6 comments:

lizS said...

hooray for timpani! and jeez, 45 min to an hour, that's...well that's pretty good. i can do four laps. if i rest in between. good job! let's all have a round of applause for timpani! hoorah!

Mary said...

I kind of like "Ghetto Booties"! We'll have to think of a way to work that into our motto or something. :)

Dana Cheryl said...

Wow Timpani!

I've really gotten into the swimming events at the Olympics. Can you do that dolphin swim move. That rocks!

Renae said...

Hey, Timpani now is officially a blogger! I've been wondering when you are going to start your own. I can't swim worth a darn. Good for you. I can't manage the breathing part. A bit scared. Keep up the good work!

lizS said...

do you know that john can do the dolphin kick thing? he always reminds me of a whale, though, when he goes under water. you know, have you ever seen a whale kind of slide/roll under water, and the last thing you see is the tail? he looks like that.

timpani76 said...

I am not at all familiar with the dolphin swim move. I like to kick off from the side of the pool facing down and then flip on my back underwater. I also can kick with both my feet together. Is that the dolphin kick?