Monday, August 18, 2008

Monday-Stength 30 minutes Walking 60 minutes

Yeah baby, because I rule! Ok, enough self-congrats ;)

Erik & I did really well on the walking part. We did in 60 minutes what usually takes us 90 minutes. We alternated pushing the double stroller too.

I also finally got my strength workout in earlier in the day so I can explain what I do:

2-3 minute warm-up

10 minutes arms (all done with a 10 lb free weight)- 10 bicep curls left arm, 10 bicep curls right arm (three times), 10 overhead lifts right arm, 10 overhead lifts left arm (three times), 10 forearm curls right arm, 10 forearm curls left arm (three times),
10 shoulder lifts right arm, 10 shoulder lifts left arm (three times), then three sets of 20 chest lifts with both arms pushing the same weight.

10 minutes abs- I'm up to about 160 crunches, with side stomach, and lower belly exercises between sets of 20 crunches. I took all my favorites from this 30 minute stomach workout (Denise Austin) and made it into a 10 minute stomach workout.

10 minutes legs-I lay on my side and lift my leg to a 45 degree angle and kick out from the knee, this works my butt muscle (glutes?). I do this10 times on one leg, switch to the other side and other leg and do 10 more, until I have 30-40 on each side. Then I lay on my side and lift my leg straight up to the ceiling, and bring it down (but not resting) and back up again 10 times on each leg until I've done 30-40. This works my side of my thigh muscle. For the front of my leg (big thigh muscle) I lay flat on my back and first bring my bent leg up into my belly and out straight again, and then keep my leg straight and lift it up toward my belly. I do this 10 times on each leg until I've done 30 on each leg. Then I just stand up and lift my feet up for calf raises to work my calves.

5-7 minutes cool down, stretch, ect.

5 comments:

Renae said...

T, you are making me feel bad! I so need to get going with the weight. I've been saying it for years, but I never manage to get a routine going.

timpani76 said...

Yes! I made Renae feel bad! My whole purpose in developing this strength workout a few years ago ;)

Eyepoke said...

seriously, that's awesome. one of my goals is to work some strength training in eventually. not now though. my heart is the only muscle that matters right now. as soon as the doctor gives me a clean bill, then i'll start working on other stuff. but yeah, you are the MAN timpani!
liz

Bruce said...

im going to get back to doing some weights too. i am acually trying to shrink my self so i will try to make it to where i do 15-20 reps on each set. the hard part about that is getting the weight right so that 20 is all i can do. not just some light stuff that i could do a million times and stop at 20. doing it this way also turns my weight workout into a cardio burn. in one way weight work outs have the potential to burn more calleries because, if you go running for example, the cal burn stops shortly after your heart rate comes back down. with weights, its a slower burn, but lasts for quite a while after your work out is over. the important thing is to get your heart rate up and keep it up for at least 20 min. that is where the cal burn realy starts.

timpani76 said...

I can only do my strength workout once a week because it seriously sucks the life out of me. I totally believe that weight workouts not only burn more calories but keep burning them long after you stop working out.