Saturday, August 16, 2008

John's 2 bits

Sorry, I couldn't resist making a foolish post earlier. I do think this blog is a very good idea. Liz is kicking some gluteous max lately with her working out, which is great, cause if she doesn't she will probably die prematurely.

I won't be posting everytime I work out--- too much work for me. I am lazy, and will work out without being accountable to anybody anyway. But I will give a general run down of my physical routines here.

I have basically four wieght lifting exercises that I do. Push ups, shoulders, curls and triceps. I work these into my morning as I get ready for work--- Do a set before the shower, do a set after the shower, do a set after I brush my teeth, etc- stuff like that. Most of the time spent lifting wieghts is not actually lifting, but recovering inbetween sets anyway. So doing wieghts this way doesn't cost me much time. I don't lift every morning. Probably every 1.5 mornings. On the mornings I lift, I do three sets of 8-12 reps. In a week and a half I usually get through all four work outs. Before I started swimming, I went through the routine faster, but the swimming lately has let me slow up on the upper body stuff- swimming (for me at least) is prety upper body intensive.

I generally get some sort of cardio in every day except Sundays. (ok more honestly 5 times a week). I make Sundays recovery days, infallibly. I belive in rest. For cardio, I typically run a 5K or so, but since summer has started I get to mix it up with swimming too. Tuesday and Thursday nights are adult swim at the local pool, so I get in a swim for half an hour. Some days when I am feeling frisky, I will make a biathalon of it and run the 2 miles to the pool and the 2 miles back. Fridays have evolved into a non-running day for me also. That's when I get to mix it up. Usually I practice my martial arts for part of my cardio on Fridays, 15 minutes or so, then add a pilates abs work out or do some time on Liz's stationary bike, or maybe an abreviated run. Lately I have taken to throwing in one of my wieght lifting routines as part of the Friday work outs too.

The other thing that I am a beliver in is solid 8 hours of sleep. I didn't used to be such a stickler about getting the 8 hours a night in- but I find that I am a much happier and nicer person if I get my sleep. They say that when you are tired you tend to make poorer choices about what you eat and what you do, including whether or not you work out. If the choice is between 6.5 hours of sleep with 0.5 hours of working out vs. 7.5 hours of sleep and no work out, much of the time I think you will be healthier for getting the extra sleep. Time is finite. You can only do so much.

5 comments:

Dana Cheryl said...

I agree with your sleep theories! I'm worthless without it. Although I have noticed that if I'm active during my days I can do with a little less sleep. However if I just lay around and do nothing my body wants to sleep more. Weird!

timpani76 said...

Needing less sleep, and getting more restful sleep are definite benefits of exercise. I do stick with the no exercise within two hours of bedtime theory though ;)

What size weights do you use? What's your swimming routine like?

Eyepoke said...

I do three strokes- a breast stroke, sidestroke, and a crawl. My crawl is probably my least professional looking stroke, but I am getting better. Its also the most draining. I switch strokes each lap. Each time I get to the side stroke I alternate leading sides.(the other two strokes have no leading side) I have no idea how much distance I cover in half an hour, and since I am often the only person in Pacific who does adult swim, I can't compare myself to other swimmers.

I'm mostly a self taught swimmer. The strokes I taught myself out of the boy scout handbook, believe it or not, when I was a teenager. I have gotten some advice on my crawl from Todd, who hangs out with real swimmers some.

Goggles and ear plugs are big important for me, otherwise I wind up blind and with water permanently in my ears.

Bruce said...

i realy like goggles, but dont use ear plugs. only once in a while do i get water in my ear. but i know how to get it out if i do so i usually dont wory about it. when i swim i usually only do free style(i think that is the same thing as the crawl). i got lucky and am a naturally strong swimmer and have asked some questions about it. last year when i was training for wood river tri, my dad and i would go to the pool and coach each other. we learned some stuff that realy helped a lot. i found that if i swam whith a little better form i could work less and get more out of it. as a result i think i had one of the to 10 swims in the race. the only reason i say this is because propper technique is very important. if you can find some one who knows and get them to watch for a sec you can save your self a lot of trouble and keep yourself moore injury free. J you could count your laps and find out how big the pool is. i got to where i was swimming about 1/2 a mile per swim work out. oh the oter "stroke" i do is a weard flipper kick thing i do when i swim under water. i do some under water work (swimming while you are holding your breath as long as you can) to increase lung capacity. the idea is that if you can do more with less you can do a lot more with more.

Bruce said...

i think i need an invite so i can do a couple poasts of my own please.